Promote the optimal health of Pamlico County residents through high quality professional services, to foster public Trust, to minimize identified public health risks and to ensure the safety of the environment for future generations.
- Family Planning: The Family Planning Program provides confidential birth control services for teens and adults to plan and space pregnancies. Physical exams and laboratory tests screen for the presence of cancer and sexually transmitted diseases.
- STD Clinic: The STD clinic provides confidential services for the detection and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV and other communicable diseases.
- Adult Health: The Adult Health Division offers walk-in services for blood pressure monitoring. Under the Breast and Cervical Control Program (BCCCP), women are screened for breast and cervical cancer through physical exams and mammograms. Male and female wellness exams are provided by a family nurse practitioner.
- Child Health: The Child Health Program offers routine wellness exams for children ages birth to twenty-one. A family nurse practitioner provides for periodic sports, camp and college physicals. Dental varnishing services are provided for children ages six months to three years.
- Immunizations: The Immunization Program offers walk-in services for free vaccines, mandated by law, to children 18 years and younger for the prevention of selected communicable diseases. Hepatitis B, flu and pneumonia vaccines are available to adults, age 19 or older, for an applicable fee.
- Tuberculosis Program: The Tuberculosis Prevention and Control Program offers tuberculin skin testing to individuals for an applicable fee.
- Sick Care Clinic: A family nurse practitioner provides services to children and adults who present with acute or chronic health problems.
Family Coordination Services
- Pregnancy Care Management (PCM): The Pregnacy Care Management program through individual case management, offers support, education and referral services to women and their families during pregnancy and the immediate post-partum period.
- Care Coordination for Children (CC4C): The Care Coordination for Children program provides services to high-risk children 0-5 year of age. Individual case management to patients/families to assist with identifying need and working together to develop plan to address them CC4C provides education support and links to additional resources as needed. SIDS Bereavement Counseling is offered to families who have experienced an infant/child loss.
- Support Services
- WIC: The Womens, Infants Children (WIC) Program provides nutrition education, supplemental foods, breastfeeding consultation and referrals for health care to qualified children from birth to five, pregnant and post-partum women.
- Nutrition: A registered dietitian provides individual medical nutrition therapy and general nutrition counseling for individuals.
- Health Education/Promotion: Community education and promotion of positive health behavior changes are provided through this program. A health educator assists groups to develop policy and environmental changes that promote exercise, healthy eating and tobacco cessation.
- Interpreter Services: Interpretation services are available in the department for Spanish and other non-English speaking individual.
- Vital Statistics
The Environmental Health Division offers information and programs for the following:
- Permitting of Sewage Treatment Systems and Private Drinking Water Wells
- Food and Lodging Inspections
- School and Day Care Inspections
- Swimming Pool Inspections
- Rabies Animal Control and Vaccination
- Solid Waste Disposal