Marriage License Requirements & Online Application
Applicants must present the following:
- $60.00 cash or debit/credit card ONLY (NO PERSONAL CHECKS)
- Note: An additional service fee of $2 will be charged if debit/credit card is used. This fee is charged by a third party vendor and is not retained by Pamlico County.
- Note: There is an additional $10 fee to obtain a certified copy of the license after the ceremony. This is often needed by the Social Security Administration and NCDMV to process name changes after you have been married.
- Government issued pictured ID (driver’s license, passport, military ID)
- Social Security Number (must provide correct SSN)
- Note: An alien admitted to the United States for permanent residence or to engage in employment must be issued a Social Security number. Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number must sign an affidavit attesting to this fact.
- Certified copy of birth certificate for applicants 18 years of age or younger.
- Note: Applicants 16 to 17 years of age should contact the Register of Deeds office at (252) 745-4421 for further information.
- Copy of death certificate, if last marriage ended by death
- Copy of final divorce judgment, if last marriage ended by divorce
- Both applicants must appear in person at the time license is issued
Marriage licenses are good for 60 days after issuance, and there is no blood test or waiting period required. The license must be returned to the Register of Deeds office within 10 days after the ceremony.
Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
You may contact the magistrate at (252) 745-6619 to make arrangements, if this type of ceremony is desired and to obtain additional information regarding the ceremony and fees. The magistrate does not provide witnesses.
ONLINE MARRIAGE APPLICATION: (must appear in person to receive license once online application is completed)
Prior to completing the marriage license application, applicants will need to know their parents' full names at parent's birth, parent's state of birth, and parent's current address.
The marriage license application may now be submitted through the link below. Once the form is completed (you must hit the submit button at the bottom of the application), the application will register with the Register of Deeds office located at 202 Main Street, Bayboro, NC 28515. All other requirements must be met to complete the process.
NOTE: BOTH PARTIES MUST APPEAR IN PERSON AT THE REGISTER OF DEEDS OFFICE TO FINISH THE PROCESS.
Here are some helpful hints:
- Abbreviations in proper names are not accepted (please completely spell all names).
- The parent's information on the application must be the name at time of birth (maiden name).
- Any box with a drop down menu can only be answered with that menu.
- The education requested is the highest completed.
- Ex: High School = 4 or College = 1
Please click Marriage Application to enter and submit your information.